Basic Keelboat & Basic Confidence Cruising Sailing Course – ASA 101 & 103
5 Day Confidence Sailing Course For Beginning Sailors
Learn to sail in a safe and supportive environment under the expert tutelage of our experienced instructors. Students acquire all the knowledge, skills and confidence necessary to sail a modern, mid-sized cruising yacht. Includes American Sailing Association (ASA) certification for successful students and the ability for you to charter sailboats for day sails.
- Learn to Skipper and Sail a 34 to 38 foot Yacht, with a U.S. Coast Guard Licensed, A.S.A Certified Instructor. There are 3 to 6 students per class.
- Earn two ASA Certifications: Basic Keelboat Sailing and Basic Coastal Cruising
- Learn on the boats YOU will be qualified to charter when you successfully complete the course! Enjoy our privately-owned, cruise and race-equipped, meticulously maintained boats from the start.
- Acquire CONFIDENCE through our 100% hands-on training program: You will be at the helm, and handling sails, lines, and winches, on your very first lesson.
- Each day is a NEW ADVENTURE, providing new scenery, wildlife and sightseeing as you sail out of MARINA del REY, Southern California Premier Boat Harbor, into the Pacific Ocean and Santa Monica Bay to Santa Monica, Malibu and Redondo Beach. We return to the harbor every night.
- Our exclusive CONFIDENCE SAILING COURSE consists of FIVE modules, each ONE FULL DAY on the water from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, for a total of 35 HOURS, scheduled to fit you.
One day each weekend for 5 weeks, or 5 consecutive days with a LIVE-ABOARD option.
Prior to 5-day Confidence Sailing Course (ASA101-ASA103): Please purchase and read the books Sailing Made Easy and Coastal Cruising Made Easy both by American Sailing Association. Also please review the General Information and Rules for Classes
DAY 1– The Hull, Rigging and Sails and their Mechanical Systems
Maneuvering the boat with the Diesel Engine – Knots – Mainsail System – Sailing through all Points of Sail – Introduction to Tacking and Jibing.
Sail to Santa Monica.
DAY 2– More Knots – U.S.C.G. Required Equipment – VHF Usage – Furling Headsail System – Sailing a Compass Course
More Tacking & Jibing – Right of Way Rules – Your Diesel Engine, Electrical Systems (both 110V & 12V) Through-hulls and Seacocks, Propane Stove, Head and Bilge systems.
Sail to El Segundo.
DAY 3- Heavy Weather Sailing: Reefing the Main and Roller Furling Jib – Changing Headsails
Basic Navigation: Charts, Nav Aids, Basic Tools, Plotting your Position, Dead Reckoning, determining Course and Distance, LOP’s
Weather & Sources of Information – Local Hazards – Man Overboard – Using the Autopilot – More Advanced Sail Trim
Sail the Santa Monica Bay.
DAY 4– Anchoring: Where and how, lee shores, chafe, using the windlass, anchoring bow and stern, Motorsailing – Operating/towing your dinghy and outboard
Electronic Navigation: Using the LORAN or GPS: Velocity Made Good, Course Made Good – Depthsounder, Wind Indicator – Using the AutoPilot
Sail to Redondo Beach.
DAY 5– Take the A.S.A. written tests in the morning.
Afternoon Graduation Sail
$945.00 plus all applicable surcharges
- 5 Full Days – A Total of 35 Hours of On-the-Water Instruction, in a 34′ to 38′ boat.
- Your ASA Log Book
- Two ASA Exams
- Your ASA Certifications (ASA-101 and ASA-103)
- One Year ASA Membership
- If you become a member of our BLUE PACIFIC BOATING SAILING CLUB you will receive A REDUCED CLASS COST OF $845 AND YOUR MEMBERSHIP FEE WAIVED!
RESERVE YOUR SPOT TODAY!
Check our Calendar for classes.
Complete and submit our online sailing & boating resume.
Call us to check availability and make your credit card deposit.
Come join in on the fun of sailing …
Call us at 310-305-7245 to schedule your sail