ASA 104 – Bareboat Charter
Gain ASA 104 Certification for overnight chartering
Leaves from Marina del Rey
Approximately 57 hours of course time
This 3-day class to Catalina Island provides a unique opportunity to gain sailing expertise through confidence-building instruction on the water. Curriculum includes: Provisioning, trip planning, navigation, anchoring, mooring, boat systems and their operation. Successful completion of the course equips students with the knowledge to take boats on multi-day trips to many wonderful destinations.
- Prerequisite: ASA 101-103
- Cruise on a luxurious 34 to 47-foot Sailing Yacht for three days to Catalina or Santa Barbara Islands with a US Coast Guard licensed skipper who is also an ASA Certified Instructor.
- Learn on a boat you would be proud to own! Enjoy one of our privately-owned, meticulously maintained boats. Your boat will have electronics, a diesel engine, a hard-bottom (RIB) inflatable dinghy with an outboard motor, a roller furling genoa, rope-clutches, self-tailing winches, and an electric windlass to retrieve the anchor.
- You will learn to operate: an inverter for 110V power, multiple battery banks, electric refrigeration, hot and cold running water with multiple water tanks, a propane stove with an oven and a solenoid, a propane BBQ, and a complete head system with holding tank, tank watch and macerator.
- Acquire confidence through our 100% hands-on training program: You will provision the boat, calculate the compass courses, use the electronics (GPS, chart plotter, depth sounder. knot meter, Autopilot) to navigate to your destination, steer the boat, trim the sails, learn to use and care for the roller furling genoa, stand a watch, set an anchor, pick up a mooring, tow and use the dinghy and outboard, and learn to trouble-shoot the boat systems. Your Instructor will discuss night sailing, heavy weather, emergencies at sea, and attempt to pass on to you years of local cruising knowledge.
- The class is typically scheduled Saturday – Monday
Please purchase and read the book Bareboat Cruising Made Easy by American Sailing. Books may be purchased from Blue Pacific Yachting, ASA, West Marine, Amazon.com, and other resources.
MINIMUM OF 4 STUDENTS IN EACH CLASS OR SUBJECT TO INCREASED FEES OR CANCELLATION/POSTPONEMENT.